Saturday, October 2, 2010

Parker on Population Density

Kathleen Parker writes a column with a whole lot of sense in it about population density and the need for rules. As she says, places with high density need lots of rules to keep people out of each other's faces. Places with low density need relatively few rules because there is room between people. Her column appears in the Whittier (CA) Daily News.

This reasoning works for me. I am a resident of Wyoming, the fifth largest state in the Union, with the absolute fewest citizens of any state. Imagine what that means about population density. I suppose the only state with lower population density is Alaska, but unlike Alaska no significant portion of Wyoming "enjoys" permafrost.

Not surprisingly, Wyoming is one of the most rules-averse places you'll find. A couple of miles down the road from my home is a sign that says proudly, "Wyoming, the way America used to be." And in the county clerk's office where I go to license my vehicles, there is a sign on the wall that says "We don't care how they did it where you come from."

Both of those signs give me a warm feeling. I'll bet they go right up the nose of blue-state folks. There's the difference.

Now relate this concept to the piece below where Gallup finds only the northeast has a Democrat majority. Isn't the northeast where the population is most dense?