Sunday, January 15, 2012

It Isn't Bain

People are attacking Romney for his work at Bain. I have no problems with what he did at Bain. Improving or shutting down weak firms is part of the capitalism process.

My problem with Mitt is his government health care plan in Massachusetts. See if my reasoning is logical:

1. The most unpopular thing Obama has done is Obamacare.
2. Americans want Obamacare repealed.
3. The GOP needs to attack Obama on Obamacare.
4. Obamacare is very similar to Romneycare in Massachusetts.
5. Romney will not or cannot disavow Romneycare.
6. If Romney is the GOP nominee, it becomes hard to attack Obama for sponsoring something quite like their nominee's health care plan.
7. Therefore, the GOP gives away its best policy weapon if Romney is the nominee.

Did I miss something here? Why isn't this Mitt's biggest drawback as a candidate? For another view of this issue see Andrew McCarthy's article for National Review.

I think Mitt needs to say something like "The role of a government is not to force unwanted programs on its people. The people of MA wanted state health care so I helped them get it. The people of the U.S. do not want Obamacare so I will sign a repeal if Congress will send it to me."