Sunday, July 7, 2013

A Vote Against Dynasties

Liz Cheney, daughter of Vice President Dick Cheney and Fox News commentator, has let it be known she is considering a primary challenge against Senator Mike Enzi (R-WY) in 2014. See this article on Breitbart Big Government for more detail.

One of my favorite bloggers, John Hinderaker of Power Line, has written opposing her running against a solid member of her own party; I agree with John. I like Liz Cheney, I also like Mike Enzi. However, as John says, a battle between the two is fratricidal and serves little purpose.

Wyoming sends a solidly conservative delegation to Congress. I believe the only real argument for Liz Cheney is that, as a member of a celebrity family, she can get invited to present her views on TV more often than Mike Enzi. On the other hand, Enzi has seniority in a body where seniority really counts.

Anyway, I believe I grow tired of dynastic families in politics.