Monday, November 3, 2014

Count Down

Forty-eight hours from now we should have a good idea of the election outcome. It is a biennial treat I look forward to, particularly when my "team" is favored to win, as it is this year.

I won't miss the political yard cards and signs littering the roadsides in my rural part of CA. I've seen almost no TV political ads as we record on DVR everything we watch (except PBS) for later viewing and fast forward through the commercials. Doing it makes ad-laden network TV bearable.

If the advertisers, including candidates, still want to pay for air time, while I don't have to listen to or watch their ads, who am I to complain? They are welcome to do so.

Once we get the midterm safely behind us, the 2016 presidential season begins in earnest. I certainly hope 2016 isn't remembered as the Clash of the Dynasties: Clinton vs. Bush. That is a direction in which U.S. politics need not go. There are other, fresher faces the parties can bring forward.

It is too bad Jeb wasn't nominated in 2000 instead of George W., I believe he'd have been a less awkward POTUS. That said, we don't need a third Bush presidency. Or another Clinton term either.