Thursday, February 12, 2015

Not a Fatal Flaw

There is talk about WI Governor Scott Walker not finishing college, it's apparently true. I spent my career in higher education, so of course I believe in it.

Parents who push children to finish college know the statistics, the odds of having a good career and a comfortable income go up with a degree. It can make success easier, more probable, less of a struggle. Earning a degree in a field in which there are actually job openings is an order of magnitude better. 

On the other hand, I recollect both Steve Jobs and Bill Gates were dropouts who rose above this handicap. Like them, Scott Walker has proven his ability on the job, arguably a better "test" than any I administered in 30+ years in the classroom.

That said, there are people with degrees who by any objective measure are failures and those without who succeed in spite of the handicap. Life gives no guarantees.