Sunday, June 7, 2015

Travel Blogging I

Over southern Canada on a Delta polar route from Salt Lake City to Amsterdam: Sitting in Business Class where the entertainment system isn't entirely working and the air is bumpy, but the food is surprisingly good. On our way to Helsinki to begin two weeks plus in Finland and Norway, mostly the latter.

Though we do other things as well, the trip's high point will be the 5 days we spend cruising down the coast of Norway. We explore the fjords, stopping at little ports and, it is hoped, seeing some spectacular scenery. 

We board the coastal ship north of the Arctic Circle. My understanding is the vessel is a combination liner, ferry, and freighter, possibly the main connection some of these isolated ports have with the outside. I see it's role like the Alaskan ferries which connect the isolated coastal villages of the southern panhandle. 

We follow the general route taken by the Allies' WW II Murmansk convoys on their way home to Britain from Russia, although they had no port stops as Norway was in German hands at the time. Neighbor Sweden managed to remain neutral, being willing to trade with Germany, relatively well-armed, and of less strategic value.

Later ... Arrived in Amsterdam with no drama, Delta did a good job with Business Class. The above mentioned entertainment glitch was repaired aloft with a reboot, after which it worked perfectly. 

The other DrC and I take advantage of watching on planes films the other wouldn't enjoy. I watched two films enroute: Aliens and The Hobbit, War of the Five Armies. She viewed Cinderella and The Second Best Marigold Hotel, while crossing the pond. 

The Hobbit "franchise" may be getting a little stale. I'd forgotten what a good job Sigourney Weaver did in Aliens, it is no glamor role and she is appropriately gritty throughout. My main problem with the film is its selection of business people as the human villains, they're the only group one can stereotype with impunity. Since I spent a career educating them, I know they are not monsters.

Looking at the many dozens of films available to view, I am amazed at how many interest me not at all. Maybe one in thirty looks possible.