Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Weird Metabolic Science

Reuters reports researchers at the University of Colorado, Boulder, have learned sleeping in a couple of days per week can help prevent diabetes. Hat tip to Drudge Report for the link.
Researchers conducted a sleep experiment with 19 healthy young men and found just four nights of sleep deprivation were linked to changes in their blood suggesting their bodies weren’t handling sugar as well as usual.

But then, when they let the men get extra sleep for the next two nights, their blood tests returned to normal, countering the effect of the short-term sleep deprivation.
I knew there was a reason I'd been sleeping in 1-2 days a week all my life, after pulling near-all-nighters earlier in the week. Silly me, I thought I was just catching up with missed sleep.

What's the old Shakespearian saw about "sleep knitting up the ravelled sleeve of care?" We have long sensed that sleep was therapeutic, now there's data.