Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Review: Alice Through the Looking Glass

The other DrC and I saw Disney's Alice Through the Looking Glass on Saturday, at a matinee. You'll note I didn't write a review immediately, and conceivably wonder why?

The film is beautiful, in the same way the Kung Fu Panda films are beautiful, which is to say a feast for the eyes. It's also bizarre, as anything associated with Tim Burton and Johnny Depp tends to be.

Mia Wasikowska, the gal who plays Alice, and played her in the previous film Alice in Wonderland, does a good job. Her character is plucky and decent, and she's not distractingly beautiful, merely pleasant-looking.

Depp plays the Mad Hatter, for whom Alice displays affection unexplained within the ambit of this film, perhaps a holdover from the first. I liked Depp better in film one, the other DrC liked him better in this film.

A cast member new to this film is Sacha Baron Cohen who plays the character Time, he's a large and vivid presence. So is Helena Bonham Carter who plays the Red Queen, in this film you learn why she is such a pill.

My hesitancy in reviewing the film is that, on a couple of occasions during the viewing I fell asleep briefly. I'd like to blame a full stomach and a dark room in the afternoon, but I'm not entirely certain the film doesn't share some blame.

My sense is the film is too long; it could have been edited more tightly, closer to a 90 minute length than the 113 minutes it runs. It is like a feast that has too much food you like, and would benefit from a somewhat quicker pace.