Monday, August 29, 2016

Administrative Hypertrophy

Writing for The Washington Free Beacon, Micah Mattix repeats the following grim statistic, cited to a New York Times article:
The number of full-time faculty in the California State University system increased slightly between 1975 and 2008, from 11,614 to 12,019, while the number of administrators nearly quadrupled during the same period, from 3,800 to 12,183.
I worked on four campuses of the California State University system, spending most of my career at one from which I retired as a tenured Full Professor. The number of administrators systemwide truly has metastasized, a term I utilize intentionally as the impact is a cancer on the organization.

The growth of higher ed. administrators is both disgusting and unnecessary. California's voters, which I am not, should demand it be reversed.