Wednesday, September 14, 2016

Dershowitz: The Election Is Unpredictable

Normally, I don't pay much attention to Alan Dershowitz as he's a reliable progressive (and if you hadn't noticed, I'm the opposite). On a whim I began reading an article of his from The Boston Globe, basically plugging his new book. I found some wisdom there to share with you.
The 2016 presidential election is more like the Brexit vote in many ways than it is like prior presidential elections. Both Brexit and this presidential election involve raw emotion, populism, anger, nationalism, class division, and other factors that distort accuracy in polling. So those who think they know who will be the next president of the United States are deceiving themselves.
Dershowitz explains why he believes this is so, and I mostly agree with the three factors named. I only partially agree with his view that ISIS might prefer Trump. He writes:
Islamist extremists would almost certainly like to see Trump beat Clinton, because they believe a Trump presidency would result in the kind of instability on which they thrive.
I agree extremists may prefer Trump but it's because they believe his actions would make clear to the world's Muslims that only the extremists are on their side. In that belief, they are mistaken, but they will, of course, act on their own beliefs.