Thursday, September 29, 2016

Raining On the 2nd Amendment

I spent three years living in Oregon - I got a Ph.D. out of the experience so it wasn't a total waste. Oregon is, however, one very strange place, a sort of slow-motion Twin Peaks, very odd, creepy, misty and off-the-wall.

For example, Cybercast News Service reports Multnomah County circuit judge Kenneth Walker recently said the following, while sentencing a man for murder:
If I could, I would take all the guns in America, put them on big barges and go dump them in the ocean," the judge said. "Nobody would have a gun. Not police, not security, not anybody. We should eliminate all of them.

They are a scourge of this country and no one should have one as far as I'm concerned," he said. "There's no defense to guns. There's just absolutely no reason to have them. But it is a right of people in this country to own and possess them, and I will not say anything to affect that right.
Walker seems to have a minimal awareness, if not approval, of the Second Amendment. I'm guessing most hunters disagree with him. He typifies the flake factor in Oregon, extremes come easily there.