Sunday, December 31, 2017

The Issue Is Taste

Instapundit Glenn Reynolds collects several comments from others, and comments himself, looking at the opposition to Donald Trump by supposed conservatives. Start with Bret Stephens in the New York Times:
I admit it gives me pause. I agree with every one of the policy decisions mentioned above. But I still wish Hillary Clinton were president. How does that make sense?
Reynolds comments:
It makes sense in a world in which educated-class tribal loyalties outweigh policy.
And, as James Taranto noted:
This tweet validates my intuition that NeverTrump is about taste far more than policy.
To which, Reynolds adds:
There’s a big status anxiety component, too.
COTTonLINE agrees Trump is somewhat gaudy and loud, bumptious even. But he wins, he gets things done, for that I can forgive much.