Friday, May 11, 2018

Eating Only Meat

Drudge Report links to an article in The Guardian (U.K.) about people eating an all-meat diet.
It’s an extreme version of the low-carb, high-fat ketogenic diet – which trains the body to run on fat rather than carbohydrates – that has become popular in recent years.
The article makes a series of somewhat unrealistic claims for various human complaints the diet helps alleviate. For example, one devotee claims:
My joint pain and tendinitis went away, my sleep became excellent, my skin improved. I no longer had any bloating, cramping or other digestive problems, my libido went back to what it was in my 20s and my blood pressure normalised.
To be fair, the article also quotes a Stanford med school prof who believes an all-meat diet is unhealthy for the heart and intestines.

The first mentions of the all-animal diet I’m aware of are accounts of the high-fat Eskimo diet and the eating habits of the Lewis and Clark expedition’s young men. The latter consumed several pounds of lean wild game (bison, elk, venison, bear) meat every night for two years and stayed remarkably healthy.

I’ve been tempted to try the carnivore diet, but never have gotten around to it. The closest I’ve come was a year spent doing Atkins - largely a failure as weight loss goes - although it was definitely doable.