Saturday, April 30, 2011

Blade Runner Echoes

There is a General Electric medical ad on cable TV in which a man talks about the most beautiful thing he's ever seen was an image that showed her doctor that his wife's cancer was treatable. The lines leading up to that are:
I've seen beautiful things.
I've seen the sunrise on the painted desert.
Witnessed snowfall on the first day of spring.
Those lines remind me very much of the following from Ridley Scott's iconic SF film Blade Runner, spoken by Rutger Hauer who plays the replicant Roy Batty:
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I've watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time...like tears in rain. Time to die.
Great dialog creates echoes in the minds of creative people.