Friday, May 24, 2013

More on Last Night's Quake

There is further information on last night's Northern California earthquake. The article is from the Los Angeles Times.

We don't expect earthquakes much in this part of the state. We're more than 100 miles from the San Andreas, California's true killer fault.

The last time I felt an earthquake in this part of CA I was sitting in my university office on the third floor of Glenn Hall and it was very late afternoon. I can't say exactly what year it was but it was before 1987, probably in 1975 - a long time ago.

I certainly should have felt the Loma Prieta quake in 1989 that tore up SF and destroyed the freeway in Oakland, except that I was working hard with shovel and wheelbarrow re-graveling the driveway and didn't learn of it until the other DrC got home and told me.

Yeah, I know it was a Tuesday and university was in session in mid-October, except I rarely had classes on Tuesday and Thursday. I don't feel guilty about using flex time, I worked almost every evening for several hours so if I wanted to do yard work on a Tuesday afternoon, it was legal.