Friday, February 13, 2015

More Dry Land Diary

Friday:  For the last few days we've had blue skies and afternoon temps in the mid-80s. This is what draws winter tourists to the region.

It reminds me of a common dilemma when I was a kid here in SoCal many years ago. Waiting for a school bus on a winter morning could be quite chilly, a coat definitely needed. By the time afternoon arrived the coat was much too warm and got stuffed in my elementary desk or high school locker. 

The day was still plenty warm when the bus took us home in the afternoon, so it was easy to forget the coat, which meant I didn't have a coat to wear the next day. Mostly I remembered to drag my coat home but I often ended up carrying it instead of wearing it. 

Northern CA is just enough colder that this problem occurs much less frequently, shirtsleeve days in winter are rarer there. Oddly, the first few days of Feb. in SoCal have resembled much of the summer in our part of WY. 

At 6000 ft. in the Rockies we don't get much hot weather; highs in the 80s are typical as are cool nights. Our growing season is very short, about 60 days.  Stubborn locals who want to grow vegetables have a greenhouse, most don't bother. Irrigated hay is the crop of choice for farmers, as it is less susceptible to damage by a light frost.