Saturday, February 28, 2015

Off the Radar

Christopher Chantrill writes for American Thinker a review of Jill Leovy's book, Ghettoside: A True Story of Murder in America. Leovy writes to inform about the mostly black-on-black murders that happen daily in the inner city. These are rarely reported in the press and are seldom prosecuted.

This brought back a memory from my childhood. My father, while never a sworn police officer, worked closely with SoCal law enforcement in the 1920s and 1930s. Two decades later he told me what Leovy writes, many inner city murders are never reported by the media nor prosecuted.

I remember being shocked and asking for reasons. He replied that newspaper (the media of that era) readers weren't interested as they weren't involved. "Crime in black neighborhoods isn't reported," he said. 

Dad told me the police rolled on ghetto murders nearly "every night," but the press ignored them and nobody thought anything amiss. I was amazed then, before the civil rights movement, I'm even more amazed it is apparently still true 60 years later.