Saturday, October 9, 2010

Victimization

I just read a column by a retired Marine Colonel where he asks the question "why does anyone vote Democrat?" The answers he give totally miss the most important reason: victimization. The Democrat Party is a coalition of groups of victims.

I believe most Democrat voters do so because they have clasped to their bosom the status of victim. It is their preferred explanation for why they haven't achieved. "You see," they tell themselves, "I could have become someone wonderful if only they weren't picking on me, weren't holding me down, weren't shutting me out."

Being a victim is soooo much easier than putting in the hard work necessary to get from where you are to where you want to be. You tell yourself it isn't possible to achieve so I don't have to try. I'll vote Democrat and the government will just give it to me, as reparations, as transfer payments, as what I am due because they won't let me achieve.

People make life choices that keep them from achieving great things, but are unwilling to face up to the consequences of their choices. An old econ prof I had somewhere eons ago used to say, "life is a series of trade-offs." Was he ever right.