Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Newt Is In

Newt Gingrich has announced he is running for the Republican nomination for president in 2012. Now the questions are, can he win the nomination, and should he win the nomination? Rephrased, that second question becomes: can he win the presidency, and if he wins, will he be a good president?

History professor Gingrich is probably the smartest person running for the 2012 Republican nomination, and undoubtedly the most fun to listen to. Unfortunately, law professor Barack Obama was the smartest person running for the Democratic nomination in 2008 and the most fun to listen to. He hasn't turned out so well as president.

Professor Woodrow Wilson also didn't turn out particularly well as president. People said Reagan wasn't really bright and he was a good president.

I spent my career being paid to be smart. It troubles me to say intellect may not be a major qualification for president.

I'm concluding Newt shouldn't get the nomination. I believe we need a successful governor as our president: Daniels, Pawlenty or Christie. On the other hand, if had to pick an after-dinner speaker I'd pick Newt, hands down.