Monday, March 19, 2012

Representative Government

I've been musing about how Mitt Romney can best deal with the Romneycare vs. Obamacare issue in the November election. Given their supposed similarity I believe his response should be based on "give the people what they want." Mitt might say something like the following:
The people of liberal Massachusetts wanted (and still want) what the press has chosen to call "Romneycare" so I helped them get it. For that I make no apology.
On the other hand, it is clear that the people of the U.S. do not want Obamacare and I will help you get rid of it, or at least those aspects of it you don't like. I believe my job as President is not to force you to put up with what I want, but to help you get what you want - that's why it's called "representative" government. You don't work for me, I work for you.