Sunday, June 16, 2013

Exercise Care

People are making varying degrees of ruckus over the NSA revelations of Edward Snowden, now hiding out in Hong Kong. You may have noticed COTTonLINE has not particularly anguished over government snooping of our electronic communications.

During 30+ years spent lecturing in public colleges and universities, I was careful not to say in class things that could get me - a public employee - in trouble. I largely succeeded in what amounted to self-censorship.

I've always believed government can and does access Internet and telephone communications when it believes it has good reason, whether or not it is lawful. It turns out I was right.

Presuming someone may be eavesdropping, I put nothing on any electronic medium of which I am ashamed or which could get me in trouble. I recommend the same caution to you.