Wednesday, December 4, 2013

A Paean to Lima, Peru

Global Post loves Lima, Peru. Their Simeon Tegel has assembled a picture album  entitled "19 Reasons You Should Probably Up and Move to Lima, Peru." He shows a number of things I fondly remember from Lima; it's a darned impressive third world city. One thing he left out - the Pisco Sour - Peru's delicious national drink.

I particularly liked the Miraflores District where we stayed. My memories of Lima are pleasant, especially considering much of the time I was sick with dysentery caught in the Iquitos region on the Peruvian Amazon River. It took me 6-8 weeks back home to wear out that gut bug, drugs didn't help.

The CA county health department couldn't diagnose it. They laughed when I told them where I'd caught it, said it could be any one of hundreds of different pathogens for which they have no test.

Also in Peru, if you haven't seen Machu Picchu, and can get there on a pretty day, it is a stunner. A spectacular setting for an amazingly preserved Inca city. It is as close to Shangri La as you'll ever see in person, put it on your bucket list.