Saturday, February 1, 2014

Comes the Bolo

A long-time science fiction reader, I enjoy it when current technology catches up with the stuff of syfy. Wired.com reports the U.S. Army is experimenting with driverless trucks, designed to get the supplies through without exposing human drivers to IEDs.

Can driverless tanks be far behind? I think not. I am reminded of the famous Bolo autonomous tanks of Keith Laumer's military syfy stories, a concept that has been elaborated by authors David Weber, Joe Ringo, and William H. Keith.

It is worth remembering that syfy godfather Arthur C. Clarke invented the concept of communications based on geosynchronous satellites. We now take for granted the millions of northern hemisphere receiver dishes aimed at the southern sky ... I have three including an automatic one on my RV.