Wednesday, April 30, 2014

A Law of Nature

For the life of me, I cannot fathom why literally every American president feels he must try to bring about a rapprochement between the Israelis and the Palestinians. It seems to be a law of nature.

The Washington Post reports the inevitable failure of the latest exercise in futility, the Kerry-Obama round. Wouldn't it be refreshing to someday have a president who could resist this ridiculous urge?

The image that comes to mind is Lucy holding the football for poor, innocent Charlie Brown to kick, only to jerk it aside at the last moment leaving Charlie lying on his back feeling like the sap he has just been shown to be, again for the nth time.

Has Uncle Sam never heard the adage "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me?" Every president back to Nixon has believed he had the magic to make it happen, they've all been wrong. This problem deserves what Sen. Pat Moynihan called "benign neglect."