Thursday, September 24, 2015

Policy Choices

National Journal's Ron Brownstein often has good political insights. His current column takes a measured view of the second GOP debate, finds the party not in agreement about its policy emphases, and concludes that is a problem. I disagree it's a problem.

Rather, I find that disagreement an advantage. We present a range of policy options to our primary voters and let them tell us which they prefer. The aspirants gaining the most votes espouse the most popular policies, or close enough.

There are reasons to favor each of the policies advocated, even those which conflict directly. The primary process will let the electorate tell us which should become planks in the 2016 platform.

I expect, for example, Paul's isolationism to garner few votes. Ditto the amnesty-loving crowd. Caveat: I've been wrong before, likely will be again.

We will start to get answers in perhaps 4-5 months. I await those with interest.