Monday, February 2, 2009

Super Bowl Musings

As the saying goes, I didn't have a dog in this fight. In other words, I didn't care which team won the Super Bowl game played yesterday. I have no ties to either Pittsburgh or Arizona.

On the other hand, I do have a bias in favor of close games, which this one was. Who would win was still in doubt in the last couple of minutes. That makes for an interesting game, one where a last-minute fumble, interception or hail-mary can change the outcome. So...this game rewarded by being close. Two good teams played to a near-draw.

One thing that wasn't impressive was the number of penalties called and, I presume, committed. It seemed to me, and to the talking heads commentating, that there were a lot of penalties in this Super Bowl. On the other hand, while I didn't see the first quarter, there were few injuries in the balance of the game, none seemed serious enough to make a fuss over. That is good news.