Friday, September 24, 2010

An Idea

I've been wondering whether any of the nearly 500 Republicans running for national office have been gutsy enough to run a campaign ad like this.

A shot of the candidate's head, looking straight at the camera as s/he says the following:

As I travel the district/state talking to voters you've been telling me how much you are disappointed with President Obama, how you wish he were on the ballot so you could vote against him. And of course he is not on the ballot, his term runs for another two years.

But you do have an opportunity to vote against President Obama's program by voting for me. I oppose virtually everything President Obama has done or tried to do, or is likely to do in the future.

Let's be serious. We are unlikely to elect enough Republicans to override a presidential veto. So for me to stand here and tell you all the wonderful things we will do is silly. We can perhaps pass bills, but the president will likely veto them.

What we will be able to do is refuse to provide funds for the president's agenda, to starve it. To frustrate his big government policies. And that, I promise you I will try my best to accomplish.

If you like what the Congressional Democrats and the President have done the last two years, vote for my opponent. If you don't like their big spending actions, the way to vote "NO" on their agenda is to vote for me.