Sunday, September 18, 2011

The Jews and Obama

David Paul Kuhn writes for The Atlantic about whether current chatter about "Obama's Jewish problem" is valid. He says "no" and I agree.

I spent some time talking about this issue with a Jewish friend of many years and came away with quite a different insight, one Kuhn doesn't mention. My friend says the problem is the religious right.

My friend believes that Jews are fearful of evangelical Christians, who tend to vote Republican as social conservatives. I'm sure he speaks for himself, probably for others.

It is his concern that evangelical Christians might, if they gained serious control of the U.S. government, blur the line between faith and government. It is his belief that when this happens, when theocracy emerges, pogroms follow. He may be right.