Sunday, March 22, 2015

Jews and the GOP

Blogging for The Washington Post, Ed Rogers asks this question:
Why don't Republicans get more Jewish votes?
It is certainly a good question, but I notice that he has no very good answer for that question. I am no expert, having discussed this issue with exactly one good Jewish friend. Nevertheless, one data point is one better than none.

My friend says the thing about the Republican Party that scares the crap out of him is the party's embrace of evangelical Christians. I say to him, yeah, but those are very strong supporters of Israel. He replies, support for Israel doesn't matter, evangelicals' level of true belief can bleed over into a pogrom quicker than a wink. His reaction is visceral, not logical, and I think he knows and is comfortable with that.

As I muse about the issue, as an admitted outsider, I wonder if the Democrats' current incarnation as the defender of victim groups appeals to a people who've spent the last two thousand years being, as often as not, victims. In all candor, the GOP is not victim-friendly. It tends to be the party of the successful, the comfortable, the insiders, those happy with the status quo.