Saturday, January 16, 2016

Trump Admits Having New York Values

At Daily Wire, Ben Shapiro has a transcript and video of Donald Trump being interviewed on Meet The Press by the late Tim Russert. The date was October 24, 1999.

In the interview, Trump admits New York values are "different" (more "liberal"). He explains his own views are shaped thereby. It is an entirely reasonable explanation but makes a mockery of  Trump's rejection of Cruz's accusation.
RUSSERT: Do you think gays should be allowed to be married?

TRUMP: It’s something I haven’t given lots of thought to. I live in New York City, there is a tremendous movement on to have and allow gay marriage. It’s just something that is too premature for me to comment on.

RUSSERT: How about gays serving in the military?

TRUMP: It would not disturb me. I mean, hey, I lived in New York City and Manhattan all my life, so my views are a little bit different than if I lived in Iowa, perhaps…
And a later exchange:
RUSSERT: Partial birth abortion. Eliminating of abortion in the third trimester. Big issue in Washington. Would President Trump ban partial birth abortion?

TRUMP: Well, look, I’m very pro-choice…and again, it may be a little bit of a New York background, because there is some different attitude in different parts of the country, and you know, I was raised in New York, and grew up and work and everything else in New York City.

RUSSERT: But you would not ban it.

TRUMP: No…I am pro-choice in every respect as far as it goes, but I just hate it.
Bottom line: Trump is on record, Cruz was right all along. You can watch Trump say it.