Wednesday, April 27, 2016

Travel Blogging XII

Dateline at sea, enroute to San Diego: Today was the first of six successive sea days, just steaming along (it's called that although no steam is involved in our propulsion), effectively "heading home" to San Diego. The seas are calm and the sun shining at last.

I shall denominate this cruise the Somerset Maugham Memorial Cruise of the Polynesian Rainy Season. Everyone please hum a few bars of "Blue Pacific Blues" in memory of Rita Hayworth's portrayal of Miss Sadie Thompson.

Earlier today I finished Tom Clancy's massive Command Authority and took it back to the ship's library. Wondering what to read next I spotted the equally huge Threat Vector by Clancy and grabbed it.  The Clancy books are classic "guy" books, replete with weapon systems, espionage tradecraft, and suspense. I'd read Command before but 200+ pages into Threat I don't remember reading It.

People who need to be "doing things" all the time don't like sea days; I prefer them as shore excursions are often disappointing. At sea and traveling in the RV are the main times I read books these days, although I love to read. Ashore, things need to get done.