Sunday, March 11, 2018

Musk at SXSW: Goin' to Mars

I'm not sure which science fiction author predicted this, I'm tempted to say Robert Heinlein as he's proved prescient about so much. The "this" to which I refer? Elon Musk says he's dead serious about sending people to Mars and back, according to CNBC which, unlike the parent company NBC, is often correct.

My youth was misspent with nose stuck in a never-ending series of science fiction paperbacks. When I finally donated my books to East New Mexico State University - whose library curates a special sci fi collection - the shipment totaled over 800 volumes.

That people would go into space I've taken as a given all my adult life. My hopes went up when the moon walks happened, subsequently have been on hold far too long. In what's left of an already lengthy life, I hope to see a lunar colony and a Mars visitation. I'll settle for part payment on these goals.

Musk is another example of entrepreneurial capitalism getting the big stuff done; committee capitalism is better at minding the store. And yes, we do have an entrepreneurial capitalist as President and stuff is getting done.