Monday, March 9, 2009

Travel Blogging X

Dateline: Munich, Germany. We just finished a two-flight trip on Iberia Airlines – Barcelona to Madrid to Munich. The experience was no treat. The coach seats on Iberia are so close together that any mention of “leg room” is a very painful bad joke. These flights were as uncomfortable as a long flight we did on Austrian Air several years ago.

The flights on Iberia were shorter in duration, which was an advantage except that on the second some doofus checked luggage and then didn’t show up for the flight. When that happens, they have to go through all the luggage they’ve already loaded in the plane to find and off-load the checked luggage for which they have no passengers. So, we sat on the tarmac for an hour or more while they combed the luggage.

Of course I support the practice of requiring a boarded passenger for every piece of checked luggage. It tends to keep down the practice of checking a bomb on a flight you’re on that the bomber doesn’t choose to join. I just wish I didn’t have my knees jammed into the back of the seat ahead of me for the hour it takes.

BTW, I didn’t get any Ritter Sport Candy – bummer.