Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Sarah Palin: An Appraisal

Todd Purdum has written a hit piece on Sarah Palin for Vanity Fair. This has reignited the controversy over her role in the future of the GOP. People inside the McCain campaign have trashed her, others have defended her. Dan Balz did a thoughful piece for the Washington Post.

Let me tell you what I think. Palin's problem with important voter groups is one of social class, a concept we hardly ever mention in this nation. She and her family come across as rural, blue collar people. As long as that is true, it will be difficult for her to gain acceptance among conservative opinion molders like David Brooks and Peggy Noonan.

Personally, I am not offended by Sarah Palin and I enjoy the fact that she can really turn on the Republican base. On the other hand, she also really turns off many so-called "country club" Republicans. I don't mind if Democrats don't like her, but I am concerned about her acceptance among Independents and neo-cons.

Given the 50-50 division of the electorate in this country, I don't believe the GOP can afford to pick as a presidential candidate someone who is so divisive, so polarizing as Governor Palin. We need an individual who is widely perceived as a polished person who nevertheless has backbone. I'm not sure who that person will be in 2012, but I do not despair of finding him or her.