Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Right for the Wrong Reasons Still Counts

As regular COTTonLINE readers know, I am no fan of Sen. John McCain (R-AZ). In fact, I'm not sure he would have been as good a president as the empty suit who defeated him.

That said, when McCain takes a stand with which I agree, I'll try to be quick to admit it. He has just done so in an op-ed piece for The New York Times.

McCain sides with the Kurds against the Iraqi government which is a BFF of the Iranian hardliners. Everything I read about the region says the Kurds are the most reliable ally we have among its dominant Muslims.

I understand McCain probably wrote the column, and NYT ran it, because it opposes a position taken by Trump whom both dislike. Their motives likely are impure but the policy advocated is one with which I agree.