Friday, September 4, 2026

Apres Moi

I was rereading what I wrote about our "siege" of Iran, and President Trump's determination to finish what he started there. That raised for me an interesting question I haven't seen mentioned elsewhere.

I begin to wonder if his attitude toward finishing with Iran vs. the midterm election doesn't contain a fair amount of the famous attitude of French King Louis XV. Namely, apres moi le deluge, literal translation, "after me, the flood." 

If true, it would reflect an indifference to what happens after he leaves office. Trust me, it isn't a difficult thought for an actor in his 80s to hold. He and, incidentally, I are nearing our exit lines in this play. His in the starring role, mine as a bit player.

Like him or hate him, few will deny Trump has been a consequential occupant of the world's most powerful role. Apres Trump, far fewer will argue that individuals can't influence history. They can and do, he has proved it.