Saturday, September 5, 2026

German Trains

Nicole Gelinas is a City Journal contributor who writes here for the New York Post. Her topic, how screwed up the German rail system is. She recently experienced both late and cancelled trains, I was somewhat surprised. 

Eleven years ago we did a rail adventure in Europe and you can read my travel blogs from August, 2015. We did most of our travel on the Swiss trains, which were meticulous, clean and on time nearly to the second. Our only exposure to other trains was to and from London via Paris on the Eurostar plus connecting French trains and they were okay too.

I'd no idea the German trains were so bad. Perhaps we didn't ride any on that trip. 

From Gelinas' description, it sounds like Germany is now deemphasizing trains much as the US did 50 years ago, and probably for similar reasons. I hope the Swiss aren't suffering this malaise. That would be disappointing, theirs were stellar.