Sunday, September 20, 2026

Women's Jobs Growing, Men's Jobs Not



All of the job growth in the last 20 months has been in jobs for women. "Job growth" does not equal "total hiring," it refers to new jobs that previously didn't exist. My source for the chart is here.

Men have been hired in that 20 month period obviously, but they replaced other men who left jobs or whose jobs disappeared, meaning no gain in jobs for men.

----------

An aging population means a growing medical establishment. As an oldster, I'm in such offices more often than I'd like. I wonder how much of that growth such offices account for?

Perhaps you've noticed that medical offices hire many women in non-medical and quasi-medical roles, as well as plenty of women medical professionals. 

A CA eye care office I formerly patronized employed 20-22 women and 1-2 men staffing the desk, making appointments, billing, running eye tests, etc. in support of 2 ophthalmologists, and 2 optometrists. They were all busy, and productive.

That ratio seems normal, the eye office I see here in small town WY has one optometrist and 4-5 women doing various support roles.