Sunday, December 25, 2011

Interesting Coincidence

On Christmas Sunday early afternoon I came across an article which has more punch because of the day upon which it appears. The USA Today article focuses on the declining influence of religion in Americans' lives.

This is an phenomenon which has been evident in Europe for some years, perhaps decades. More recently it is showing up in the U.S.

I expect a careful survey of this issue, done across the U.S., would find regional differences. Based on my experiences teaching, working and living in a variety of U.S. locations, I would guess people in the southeast would report organized religion being more important in their lives.

In the southeast, it isn't clear whether the increased importance of organized religion reflects true spirituality or the fact that in the southeast most friendship networks (and thus social life) are based around church. I expect the honest answer would be "some mixture of the two."