Friday, May 4, 2012

Review Preview

The first of the summer's big movies, Marvel Comics based The Avengers is out and I haven't seen it yet. Normally super hero films aren't my cup of tea.

I will make an exception for The Avengers because the writer/director is Joss Whedon. If the name isn't familiar to you, no surprise.

Whedon is known more for his TV and comics work than for his feature films. He wrote/directed Buffy, the Vampire Slayer.  He was also responsible for the Buffy spinoff Angel, whose lead character was played by David Boreanaz, now playing Booth on the series Bones.

My favorite Whedon opus is Firefly, a Fox TV sci.fic/western series. It starred Nathan Fillion, who now plays Castle in the ABC series of that name. Whedon also directed the feature length Firefly spin off entitled Serenity. Both are available on DVD.

I expect to post a review of The Avengers relatively soon.