Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Carly

National Review's Jay Nordlinger does a long piece on Carly Fiorina in New Hampshire; he obviously spent time with her campaign there. Nordlinger liked what he saw, and asked her why she was doing it. Her answer is interesting:
I have been through some hard things in my life, and having been through those hard things, I really think that life is measured in love, moments of grace, and positive contribution. This is a positive contribution I can make. I can win this job. I can do this job. I can change the conversation this nation has. I can change how people think about their politics. This is a contribution I can make. And I’m willing to make it.

And having been through hard things, I’m not afraid of anything anymore. I’m not afraid of what people are going to say. I’m not afraid of what people are going to dig up. I’m not afraid of working hard. I’m not afraid.

So, to me, this is — honestly, it is hard work, but it is joyful work, and I feel as though it is the work I’m supposed to be doing now. So I’m happy to do it.
Fiorina's identification of Margaret Thatcher as one of her heroes resonates with me.