Monday, February 1, 2016

A Seasoned Performer

As you know, we've read and reacted to many different opinions concerning the Trump phenomenon. While reading another this morning, I had an insight I haven't seen elsewhere in the outpourings of the commentariat.

With your indulgence, I'll state my insight in the form of an hypothesis. That means I don't believe the assertion proven, but see enough reason to think it true to justify polling the question.
H1: The demographic profiles of Trump supporters and reality TV audiences are similar.
My reasoning: Trump was popular on reality TV, being his over-the-top self, and is popular as a candidate in the same persona. Logically, people who enjoyed him on TV like him as a candidate.

I'm not suggesting reality TV fans are his only group of supporters, merely the most vociferous. In a sense, he has honed and test-marketed his public persona on TV for years, not unlike Reagan as spokesperson for GE. It is an enormous, and largely overlooked, advantage, not unlike opening a Broadway show out of town to work out any problems and fine-tune the applause and laugh lines.

As you might suspect, I subscribe to the notion, variously attributed to Paul Begala and Jay Leno, that "politics is show business for ugly people." At least "campaigning" is mostly show business, governing is only partially so.