Sunday, May 8, 2016

A Fourth Stage

Keith C. Burris, writing in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, asks "What if we've gotten Trump wrong?" He cites some interesting examples of how we've done this with past presidents.
What if the press has been wrong all along about Mr. Trump and what if we are still wrong?

We often get public figures wrong, just fundamentally wrong. The predominant view from the press, and the first draft of history, is just off the mark.
Burris then gives several spot-on examples, adding:
When I say Mr. Trump is smart, I do not mean only as a manipulator of symbols and a deft politician, I also mean he has gotten a couple of big things right. (snip) In this he reminds me of Ronald Reagan: He’s gotten a couple of big things right and connected with voters.

I remember when Ronald Reagan was called an “amiable dunce” and the most ignorant man to enter the Oval Office. He was neither. We got him wrong.
For all our sakes, I hope Burris is correct, don't you? It's a good column. Hat tip to Lucianne.com for the link.