Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Further Political Ruminations

Very often the U.S. political system gives us this presidential choice: which major party nominee is the lesser evil? I anticipate for some voters 2016 will be such a year.

Many in the conservative punditry are declaring they will not vote for Trump. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, I suppose they will leave the presidential choice on their ballot blank.

My analysis: such a choice means you believe a Trump presidency will be at least as bad as a Clinton presidency, if in different ways, or perhaps even worse. If you are conservative and honestly believe that, abstention is your clear choice.

Hillary has promised us four more years of Obamaism, leavened with Sanders-style leftwing populism. She has repudiated all admirable aspects of her husband's administration. To me, a Hillary term sounds really awful.

A Trump term may be awful, may be wonderful, may be something in between. I see at least a chance it could turn out well, I see no such chance with Hillary. So I will not abstain. If Trump is nominated I will support him, perhaps with reservations, and vote for him. It's a crapshoot but better than a sure loser.

There is at least a chance Trump could turn out to be a Teddy Roosevelt-style high energy whirlwind in office. He has the energy, the non-stop gift of gab, the imagination, and the sense that, whatever he sets his mind to, he can achieve. TR had those characteristics and maybe The Donald does too, they seem to be what he needed to get this far.