Sunday, June 24, 2018

Worse and Worse

The San Francisco Chronicle is nothing if not a booster for their city, and has been for many decades. So an article by Heather Knight which begins with the following subscriber email is pretty startling.
There is a suitcase full of human s— on the corner of Isis and 13th. Last night, I had to threaten violence to a man smoking crystal meth on my front porch. This morning, my 2-year-old son and I watched a rat rummage through the trash in our gutter. Things have been getting worse and worse on my block since 2010, and the city does NOTHING to fix it.
I read on and discovered the author of that email was Ernst Shoen-Rene, a former faculty member at the university from which I retired. He has moved to SF and gone to work in the private sector, apparently.

I wish him the 'joy' of that move. It sounds terrible to me and it seems he's finding it not to his liking. Our rural college town lacks most of the hellish 'amenities' he describes.

All San Francisco mayors since 1964 have been Democrats. The place has become, in President Trump's felicitous terminology, a sh**hole.

When I was a San Jose State undergrad it was still pretty nice (and it had a Republican mayor). SF today is a good place to avoid.