Sunday, June 24, 2018

Anti-Trump Conservatism Explained

I've had trouble explaining to myself how Never-Trump conservatives happen. Now Paul Mirengoff of Power Line has a quite reasonable rationale for this odd phenomenon, which he relates to the example of syndicated columnist George Will. Briefly, this is his argument:
Conservatives who view conservatism as mainly a set of policy preferences will probably be quite pleased with Trump.

Conservatives who view conservatism as mainly an attitude, aesthetic, and approach to living are likely quite displeased with Trump.

It has always seemed to me that, for George Will, conservatism is predominantly an attitude. More than any other modern commentator I know of, he has the knack of making his aesthetic preferences seem like moral imperatives.
I suspect something similar motivated Charles Krauthammer, albeit to a lesser degree. He could approve of some things Trump accomplished, even as he recoiled from how the 'sausage' got made.

As Mirengoff puts it, I "view conservatism as mainly a set of policy preferences" and so I'm pleased with Trump. If I want personal elegance in a male celebrity, I'll view a Cary Grant film.