Sunday, October 7, 2018

Kavanaugh's Impact on SCOTUS

Instapundit Glenn Reynolds, in addition to being a noted blogger, is a law school prof who writes a weekly column for USA Today. Reynolds takes up the Kavanaugh impact in this week's column.

I believe you'll find his analysis interesting, and perhaps reassuring too. Or maybe not, if you've hoped for a tsunami of very conservative decisions.

For example, Reynolds doesn't foresee an overturn of Roe v. Wade, the abortion-is-a-right decision. Actually, if you compare what Reynolds writes with what I predicted back on Sept. 27, you'll not see many differences; here is my prediction:
I expect a conservative majority on SCOTUS to do little to reverse the damage already done. The best we can hope for is if they slow down the drift to the loony left which has been, in my lifetime, seemingly inexorable. Social conservatives will have to settle for that half measure, I fear.
What probably has gone is the infrequent Kennedy do-si-do to the left, on which Democrats counted for an occasional win on social issues.