Wednesday, July 29, 2026

The “Morbidity Gap”

RealClearScience links to an interesting research report on lifespan and healthspan, the latter being how long we live without dealing with major health issues. The difference between the two “spans” being how long we live with major health issues before dying, this is called the “morbidity gap” and it is rising.

Global life expectancy rose from 64.6 years in 1990 to 73.8 in 2023, the study found. But healthy life expectancy failed to keep pace, with adults now spending around one in seven years in poor health.
This had me worried, until I read the following. 
Most populations now spend a decade or more living in poor health. For individuals and families, that means more years are spent managing chronic conditions like back pain, hearing loss, neurological disorders and diabetes.

Lower back pain is no joke, the other DrC has it and suffers plenty. On the other hand, I have worn hearing aids for a decade or more. And I have neuropathy in lower limbs, but cope with both issues just fine and do not consider myself in particularly “poor health.” 

I no longer take long walks and tire somewhat easily, but I am essentially happy and enjoy life. Expend no sympathy on me.