Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Bill O'Reilly's Cutlass vs. George Will's Rapier

Steven Hayward at Power Line links to a George Will column taking Bill O'Reilly further to task for historical inaccuracies in his novel-pretending-to-be-history entitled Killing Reagan. I read O'Leary's Killing Patton and reviewed it here, my conclusion:
A good read but only so-so as history.
Hindsight, always more acute, suggests I was too charitable. After trying once or twice, I've refused to watch O'Reilly on Fox News, for as Steve Hayward writes,
O’Reilly is a typical playground bully who runs from anyone able to standup to him.
I've described him elsewhere as follows:
At COTTonLINE we aren't big fans of Fox News' Bill O'Reilly, finding him often an oversimplifying blowhard.
Upon further reflection, I'd characterize O'Reilly as a "oversimplifying bombastic blowhard." We all know how cutlass vs. rapier turns out, don't we? Rapier wins.