Thursday, November 5, 2015

The Rest of the Story

Do you remember hearing or reading about someone who knifed four people on the University of California, Merced campus recently? Who was then shot dead by police? Why should I have to go to a British paper - the Daily Mail (U.K.) - to learn the knife-wielder was a freshman engineering student named Faisal Mohammad?

Can Palestinian knife attacks on Israelis, much in the news recently, have been an inspiration to this kid? It seems a logical conclusion.

I presume his identity was suppressed locally in order to avoid the appearance of Islamophobia. And it's reported the bomb squad detonated a mysterious something from his backpack, which also contained duct tape, zip-tie handcuffs, and a hammer.

In my 30+ years as a professor, I wondered if I'd encounter something like this on my campus. Happily, I did not. Hat tip to the late broadcaster Paul Harvey for popularizing "the rest of the story."